We need to handle personal information about our staff, suppliers and contractors so that we can administer the Met Office efficiently. We need to handle personal information about our users and customers so that we can provide better services.
How we look after that information.
When we ask you for personal information we promise:
- to make sure you know why we need it;
- to ask only for what we need and not to collect too much, or irrelevant, information;
- to protect it and make sure only the permitted people have access to it;
- to let you know if we share it with other organisations, so we can give you better services, and if you can stop us passing it on;
- to make sure we don't keep it longer than necessary;
- not to make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission.
In return we ask you to:
- give us accurate information;
- tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as a new address.
This helps us to keep your information reliable and up to date.
You can get more details on:
- how to find out what information we hold about you;
- how to ask us to correct any mistakes;
- agreements we have with other organisations for sharing information;
- circumstances where we can pass on your personal information without telling you, for example, to prevent and detect crime or to produce anonymized statistics;
- our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete your personal information;
- how we check the information we hold is accurate and up to date;
- how to make a complaint.
For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: 01392 885680
Source of independent advice on handling of personal data
When we ask you for information we will keep to the law, including the Data Protection Act 1998. For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data-sharing issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner at: Wycliffe House
Telephone: 08456 306060 or 01625 545745 Fax: 01625 524510. Or visit the
Information Commissioner's website.