Working within the Procurement Team
The procurement team works with people across the Met Office, delivering the most economically advantageous procurement and contract management solutions. All procurements methods and procedures comply with category management and relevant public procurement regulations, legislation, delegated contractual and financial authority and the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply Ethical Code. This means they deliver best value to the organisation and mitigate risk.
Each role has to have experience against the following skills framework which is assessed on competency levels:
Other legal skills
Understanding customer requirements
External customer contract management
Supplier contract management
- Develop category strategies (where this is part of the role) manage the sourcing procedures, evaluate submissions and negotiate with suppliers to deliver best value services and products for the Met Office.
- Develop, influence and ensure compliance with Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and Business Performance Measures (BPMs) through category management /contractor management, to ensure continuity of service to the business.
- Lead, motivate and mentor members of the procurement team to ensure they have the relevant skills, knowledge and understanding of contemporary best procurement practice in order to deliver a professional and efficient service.
- Provide professional procurement expertise and advise business areas on compliance with European public procurement regulations, to minimise risk of legal challenge and impact on the business.
- Identify opportunities for savings, innovation and contribution to corporate priorities to provide increased business benefit with lower cost impact.
- Broad experience in organisations using category management procedures and processes including e-procurement and e-tendering
- Commercial acumen and proven ability to develop good working relationships and influence others
- Excellent communication skills - written and spoken
- Well organised and methodical, able to plan and deliver against demanding targets
- Proven ability to cope with pressure and show initiative
- Ability to negotiate with customers and suppliers
Member of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (MCIPS)
There is a requirement for some of the roles to be fully qualified to MCIPS level 6 (Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply) and in other to be working towards the qualification or willingness to study. Consideration will be given to provide funding study support and training.
For the more senior roles it is desirable to have practitioner level in PRINCE2.
Last Updated: 8 October 2012