UK wind map
The UK Wind Map is designed to provide wind energy developers with long term average wind speeds to assist with site search.
Comparison of Met Office UK Wind Map with NOABL data highlights major differences across the UK
The UK Wind Map is based on the last 30 years (1981 to 2010) of observation data taken from around 240 meteorological stations across UK. This has been gridded up into a UK Wind Map at 1 square km resolution.
Each square km contains a long term annual average wind speed and 12 monthly long term average wind speeds.
Met Office wind map
- The maps are available as datafiles either for the UK as a whole or for defined regions.
- Uses quality-controlled wind data monitored at all Met Office-approved sites.
- The map is also available at different heights above the ground.
- Standard heights for the small wind industry are 10 m, 15 m and 20 m and for the medium wind industry are 25 m, 35 m, and 45 m.
- Custom heights are available on request.
Technical bulletin - UK Wind Map - site search for small and medium wind
(PDF, 3 MB)
Contact the team to find out more. Call +44 (0)1392 885680 or email us
Last updated: 15 August 2014