Applying the scientific and forecasting capability of the Met Office for the benefit of the UK armed forces.
The Defence Applications team specialises in the research and development of impact-focused meteorological advice to the UK armed forces. It draws upon the wider research and forecasting capability of Met Office science and combines this with knowledge of defence requirements. The Defence Applications team ensures that the best use is made of meteorological capability for the defence customer through improved scope, accuracy, representativity and timeliness of products.
- To improve the capability, accuracy and application of the Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) data on which military advice is based
- To improve and develop the accuracy of Tactical Decision Aids to provide impact focused advice
- Night Illumination: Development and assessment of improvements to predictions of night illumination levels
- Boundary-Layer: Assessment of the impact of improved atmospheric boundary layer structure on radar propagation
- High-resolution NWP: Application of high resolution NWP models specifically for defence advice
- Visualisation: Delivery of existing tactical decision aid advice through the new forecast visualisation capability
- Scientific Support: Provision of scientific support to defence forecasters
- Consultancy: Provision of scientific consultancy services to both government and commercial organisations
Last updated: 10 October 2013