Dr Markus Gross
Although no longer working at the Met Office, Markus continues to collaborate on an ad hoc basis with Scientists in Dynamics Research on physics dynamics coupling, i.e. the coupling between the physics parameterization and the dynamical core.
Currently Markus is responsible for the coupling of the physics parameterization to the next dynamical core of the UM. This involves analysing the current proposal with respect to accuracy and stability, using normal mode analysis, for example, as well as the implementation and associated documentation. This involves liaison with developers of the physical parameterization.
A parallel activity is the development of testing frameworks and methods, involving simplified forcings to facilitate the analysis of alternative coupling strategies.
Before joining the Met Office in Autumn 2008 Markus hold a Post-Doctoral Research Associate position at the Engineering Department of the University of Cambridge. There he was responsible for the modelling activities of the Centre for Industrial Photonics, Production Processes Group at the Institute for Manufacturing. This included the development and maintenance of 3D transient models for the simulation of the laser cutting process and the application of general purpose commercial modelling software for ad-hoc investigations of physical phenomena in other processes.
In 2003 Markus obtained a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, for his thesis on the development of a 3D transient model for the simulation of the laser cutting process, which utilised national super computing resources in the UK (CSAR) and Germany (HLRN).
Prior to this Markus studied in Edinburgh for a Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering with Computer Aided Engineering degree, which he was awarded in 2000 (First Class).
- Gross, M. (2009) Comprehensive numerical simulation of laser materials processing In: Dowden, John, (ed.) The Theory of Laser Materials Processing: Heat and Mass Transfer in Modern Technology. , (119), Springer Series in Materials Science . Springer Netherlands, pp. 339-380. ISBN 9781402093395, 140209339X (Print) 9781402093401 (Online)
Articles (peer reviewed)
- Sparkes, M. and Gross, M. and O'Neill, W. (2008) A novel non-intrusive sampling technique for CO2 laser on-line beam monitoring utilising a silicon mirror Optics and Lasers in Engineering, 46 (8). pp. 620-627. ISSN 0143-8166
- Sparkes, M. and Gross, M. and Celotto, S. and Zhang, T. and O'Neill, W. (2008) Practical and theoretical investigations into inert gas cutting of 304 stainless steel using a high brightness fiber laser Journal of Laser Applications, 20 (1). pp. 59-67. ISSN 1042-346X
- Gross, M. S. and O'Neill, W. (2007) New aspects of melt flow phenomena through narrow kerfs Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 40 (4). pp. 1201-1205. ISSN 0022-3727 .
- Gross, M. S. (2006) On gas dynamic effects in the modelling of laser cutting processes Applied Mathematical Modelling, 30 (4). pp. 307-318. ISSN 0307-904X.
- Sung, R.C.W. and Corney, J.R. and Towers, D.P. and Black, I. and Hand, D.P. and McPherson, F. and Clark, D.E.R. and Gross, M.S. (2006) Direct writing of digital images onto 3D surfaces Industrial Robot, 33 (1). pp. 27-36. ISSN 0143-991X .
- Gross, M.S. and Black, I. and Muller, W.H. (2005) 3-D Simulation model for gas-assisted laser cutting Lasers in Engineering, 15 (1-2). pp. 129-146. ISSN 0898-1507 .
- McBride, R. and Bardin, F. and Gross, M. and Hand, D.P. and Jones, J.D.C. and Moore, A.J. (2005) Modelling and calibration of bending strains for iterative laser forming Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 38 (22). pp. 4027-4036. ISSN 0022-3727 .
- Gross, M.S. and Black, I. and Muller, W.H. (2004) Determination of the lower complexity limit for laser cut quality modelling Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 12 (6). pp. 1237-1249. ISSN 0965-0393 .
- Gross, M. and Black, I. and Muller, W.H. (2003) Computer simulation of the processing of engineering materials with lasers—theory and first applications Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 36 (7). pp. 929-938. ISSN 0022-3727 .
Conference or workshop items
- Gross, M.S. (2008) Smooth Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH) Modeling of Laser Cutting In: International Congress on Applications of Lasers & Electro-Optics (ICALEO 2008), 20-23 October 2008, Temecula, CA, USA.
- Zhang, T. and Sparkes, M.R. and Gross, M. S. and O'Neill, W. (2008) The studies of laser oxygen thick section cutting using disk laser In: 3rd Pacific International Conference on Application of Lasers and Optics (PICALO), 16-18 April 2008, Beijing, China. online.
- Sparkes, M. and Gross, M. and O'Neill, W. (2007) High brightness fiber and disc laser cutting In: Advanced Laser Applications Conference, 24-26 Sep 2007, Burlington, USA. (In Press) .
- Sparkes, M. and Gross, M. and O'Neill, W. (2007) A novel non-intrusive technique for CO2 laser on-line beam monitoring In: Advanced Laser Applications Conference, 24-26 September 2007, Burlington, VT, US. (In Press).
- Gross, M. and Celotto, S. and O'Neill, W. (2006) Melt flow in narrow thick section kerfs In: LAMP 2006, 31 October - 2 November 2006, Cambridge, UK. .
- Sparkes, M.R. and Gross, M.S. and Celotto, S. and Zhang, T. and O'Neill, W. (2006) Inert cutting of medium section stainless steel using a 2.2kW high brightness fibre laser In: International Congress on Applications of Lasers & Electro-Optics (ICALEO 2006), 29-31 October 2006, Scottsdale, AZ, US.
- Gross, M. and Celotto, S. and O'Neill, W. (2006) Melt flow in narrow thick section kerfs In: Laser Materials Processing Conference (part of ICALEO' 06), 30 October - 2 November 2006, Scottsdale, AZ, USA.
- Sparkes, M.R. and Gross, M.S. and Celotto, S. and O'Neill, W. (2006) A novel non-intrusive technique for CO2 laser on-line beam monitoring In: Laser Materials Processing Conference (part of ICALEO' 06), 30 October - 2 November 2006, Scottsdale, AZ, USA.
- Gross, M. and O'Neill, W. (2005) How far is it worth simulating laser materials processing? The Industrial Laser User (39). pp. 10-11. ISSN 1366-963X .
- Gross, M.S. and O'Neill, W. (2005) Discrete modelling and simulation in manufacturing processing operations In: International Conference on Responsive Manufacturing (ICRM 2005), 12th -14th September 2005, Guangzhou, China.
- O'Neill, W. and Gross, M.S. and Sparkes, M.R. and Zhang, T. Analysis of disc and yb laser cutting of metals In: Proceedings of LaserSys, 24 March 2008, Stuttgart, Germany.
- O'Neill, W. and Sparkes, M.R. and Gross, M.S. and Zhang, T. High brightness cutting and welding In: Association of Laser Users (AILU) Workshop: Advances in Lasers and Beam Delivery Enabling New Industrial Applications, 12 December 2007, Cambridge, UK.
- Sparkes, M.R. and Zhang, T. and Celotto, S. and Gross, M. and O'Neill, W. Cutting with fibre lasers In: AILU Workshop: Fibre Lasers: the Future of Laser Materials Processing Technology, 8 March 2006.
Last updated: Apr 29, 2014 8:43 AM