Enhancing weather and climate service delivery
We work closely with national meteorological and hydrological services (NMHSs) to improve their weather and climate service delivery.
Effective national weather and climate services are essential to strengthen a nation's preparedness, well-being, prosperity and prospects for growth.
To achieve this NMHSs need to deliver services to a wide range of customers in relevant, useful and accessible ways. We work in partnership with NMHSs worldwide to support them in developing their capabilities to deliver effective weather and climate services. We draw on our cutting edge science and operational experience to offer practical advice and specialist weather and climate consultancy services.
Key areas we support include:
- Situational assessments
- Climate consultancy
- User engagement
- Institutional strengthening (strategy, management, operating procedures, standards)
- Capacity development (archiving, forecasting, observing)
- Product/service design and development
- Disaster risk management and early warning systems
- Weather and climate media and communications (television, radio, mobile, internet)
- Technical assistance (design of observations and applications, systems consultancy, modelling)
- Commercial consultancy to deliver services to private sector clients
- Tailored training programmes
- Monitoring and evaluation
Anthony Twahirwa, Meteo Rwanda
Read more about how we support NMHSs in the case studies below:
The following training programme aims to integrate disaster risk reduction into sustainable capacity development plans and help to enhance early warning systems:
Last updated: Jul 28, 2016 10:47 AM