Standard daily forecasts and detailed local forecasts to meet the need of the infrastructure contractors and train operators.
Collisions, derailments, cancellations of services and overheating - adverse weather conditions can cause chaos for train operating and maintenance companies.
We can help you plan for these events with our range of services, making sure your services are safe and on time.
Our Rail Product portfolio is tailored for your rail operations and includes:
OpenRail provides weather information specific to your rail operations in an easy to use web format. You can choose to view site specific forecasts via:
- An Interactive Map: highly detailed map showing rail stations and railway lines with weather layers of interest including infra red satellite and rainfall radar imaging
- Graphs: weather elements colour coded for clarity
- Text: Warnings and Forecasts available in text form
Other forecast products include:
- Low adhesion forecast
- Overtopping Forecasts
- Rail Ice Forecasts
- Hazards and Warnings
Our weather data services are applicable to all aspects of your business, from works maintenance and contingency planning to day to day decision making on your rail operations. We offer site or area-specific data, both forecast and historical for the weather parameters of your choice.
- Available in time periods of interest.
- Site or area-specific data.
- Forecast and historical data.
- A range of weather parameters including rail head moisture state, temperature, rainfall, wind speed and direction.
Talk direct with a Met Office forecaster and discuss the weather in detail with our Talk to a forecaster.
Research and consultancy
Working closely with our rail customers we have developed a range of services that meet rail industry requirements. We offer tailored research and consultancy services to help develop the most advanced scientific solutions to meet your needs. If you have a specific problem that requires a tailored service please contact us to find out how our experience can benefit you.