For the purposes of the Act, the data controller is the Met Office, FitzRoy Road, Exeter, Devon, EX1 3PB. The Met Office is an Executive Agency of the United Kingdom's Department for Business, Innovations and Skills. The Met Office is registered under the Data Protection Act 1998 (in the name of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy), Registration No. Z1839175.
Find out about:
- Personal information we may collect from you
- How we will use information about you
- Where we store and process your personal information
- Disclosure of your information
- Security of payment transactions
- Access to your information and correction
- Other websites
- How to contact us
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide if you register on Our Site or place an order for data or data services together with the details necessary to administer your account.
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on Our Site and subscribing to the services available on Our Site.
- Information that you provide to us when you write to us (including by email and fax) or when we speak to you by telephone.
- Information that you provide to us by completing surveys or participating in competitions.
- Details of your visits to Our Site and the resources you access to enable us to monitor and improve our service and to know which parts of Our Site are of most interest to our customers and visitors to Our Site.
We may use information about you in the following ways:
- Registration details and customer information will be used to administer your account, to keep a record of which services you have subscribed to and to deliver the services you have requested.
- To provide you with information about Met Office offers and services that you request from us or which we believe may be of interest to you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes. You have the right to ask us not to process your personal information for marketing purposes and if at any time you wish to opt out of such use then you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To ensure that content from Our Site is presented in the most effective manner.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- From time to time we may also permit selected third parties to use your data to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you, provided that you have consented to third parties contacting you in this way. You have the right to ask us not to process your personal information for marketing purposes and if at any time you wish to opt out of such use then you may contact email@example.com.
We do not sell or rent out personal information to any other organisations.
We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about visitors to Our Site. For example, we may provide our advertisers with an anonymous summary of the demographics of visitors to Our Site or with statistics relating to site usage.
If you do not want us to use your personal information in one or more of the ways mentioned above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also manage your preferences in some services at any time by logging in and accessing your account information.
The Met Office is responsible for the processing of your personal information.
Our technology services providers or other contracted service providers, may also have access or store data for us, but solely for use on behalf of the Met Office in accordance with our instructions and under our control. Secure credit card and payment authorisation is handled by our payment provider, DataCash.
You may also access your registration details through the relevant customer administration page, using your customer password. Access is strictly controlled and password protected. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of Our Site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In any other manner mentioned elsewhere in this policy.
The Met Office takes great care to ensure the security of this site and your personal information. Where credit card information is collected, we use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) or equivalent secure technology with 128-bit encryption.
SSL is the industry standard method of encrypting personal information and credit card details so that they can be securely transferred over the Internet. This means that you can purchase online with complete peace of mind.
We collect all information that is sent to us as configured within your web browser including, where available, your IP address, operating system and browser type and may use this information to report aggregate information to our advertisers and any relevant third parties. This information is stored and managed anonymously and independently from your personal details. This information is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns and does not identify any individual.
For pages which require registration, cookies need to be enabled. You can set your browser to either accept cookies or to prompt to accept cookies so that you can access these pages. The browser you are using should have specific instructions on how to control the acceptance of cookies and also how to delete unwanted cookies from your hard drive.
Our advertising organisations provide access cookies, alongside web logs, pixel tags, or web beacons, to delivery advertising based on activity on the Met Office and other websites over time.
In relation to information gathered and used by our Rubicon advertisers, you may opt out by visiting the Rubicon consumer online profile and opt-out.
Access to personal information which we may hold about you can be requested in writing to the Data Protection Officer at the address below or by sending an email to email@example.com. We may require proof of identity in relation to any such request and may also make a small charge for this service.
Data Protection Officer
We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct or remove information you think is inaccurate.
Our Site contains links to other websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that they have their own privacy policies and we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies.
- by email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- or write to our Data Protection Officer at the address set out above.
Last updated: 12-Jun-2017 14:41