Close window
Close window
This section of the new site isn't ready yet. We've brought you back to the current site.

Lake District

Confidence

High confidence for general story but low confidence for any cloud breaks and timing of the rain on Sunday.

  • This evening
  • Sunday
  • Monday
  • Further outlook

Saturday 20 October 2018

Sunrise: 07:50   Sunset: 18:04
Moon phase: Waxing gibbous

Low cloud and hill fog are likely to persist for the evening with some drizzly outbreaks overnight.

Sunday 21 October 2018

Weather hazards

Severe chill effect Medium likelihood Hide detail

Wind significantly lowers the ‘feels-like’ temperature relative to the actual temperature, with even moderate winds significantly adding to the chilling effect. Strong winds can result in a severe and debilitating wind chill many degrees below the actual temperature. This effect will be enhanced in rain or wet snow. Without protection, prolonged exposure could result in frost nip or frostbite on exposed parts of the body and/or hypothermia.

Poor visibility Medium likelihood Show detail

Poor visibility presents challenging route finding conditions. Visibility could be significantly less than 50 metres in all directions with few or no visual references, especially on featureless moors or plateaux. Distances become hard to judge and cliff or cornice edges can be difficult to recognise. These conditions require good navigational skills. There is a risk of white-out conditions when mist or fog is combined with extensive snow cover.

Headline

Low cloud, rain and drizzle in the morning clearing by late afternoon.

Weather at 800m

00:00 03:00 06:00 09:00 12:00 15:00 18:00 21:00
Fog Fog Drizzle Light rain Drizzle Mist Partly cloudy night Clear night
10% 20% 30% 30% 40% 30% 00% 00%
Chance of precipitation
3,300 3,400 3,400 2,900 2,700 2,300 1,200 1,000
Freezing level (m)
The level above which snow is expected to settle or the ground is expected to be frozen

Wind speed and direction (mph) By altitude above mean sea level

00:00 03:00 06:00 09:00 12:00 15:00 18:00 21:00
900m SW 23 27 SW 27 31 SW 29 34 SW 32 38 W 27 33 NW 28 34 NW 30 36 NW 30 36
600m SW 16 19 SW 20 25 SW 22 28 SW 23 29 NW 23 30 NW 21 26 NW 23 32 NW 22 30
300m SW 4 16 SW 7 20 SW 8 21 SW 9 23 NW 9 24 NW 9 23 NW 10 27 NW 8 22
Valley SW 2 13 SW 6 18 SW 7 20 SW 7 22 NW 10 26 NW 7 23 NW 8 26 NW 5 21

Temperature (°C) By altitude above mean sea level

00:00 03:00 06:00 09:00 12:00 15:00 18:00 21:00
900m 9 9 9 9 8 5 4 2
600m 10 11 11 11 10 7 6 4
300m 11 12 12 12 11 10 8 6
Valley 12 13 13 13 12 11 10 8

Feels like temperature (°C) By altitude above mean sea level

00:00 03:00 06:00 09:00 12:00 15:00 18:00 21:00
900m 5 5 5 4 3 -2 -3 -5
600m 7 7 7 7 6 2 1 -1
300m 11 10 10 10 9 7 6 4
Valley 12 12 12 12 11 10 8 7
Sunrise: 07:52   Sunset: 18:02
Moon phase: Waxing gibbous

Weather

An overcast morning with extensive low cloud producing some drizzle at times. More organised rain will form later in the morning with the odd heavy spell particularly on high ground. By late afternoon the rain will move south with cloud clearing in the evening and a clear night is expected later with temperatures likely to fall close to zero and frost forming in sheltered areas. Cloud will clear slightly later in the southern Lake District but some evening sun is a possibility.

Chance of cloud-free mountain/hill tops at 800m

In the morning 20% chance of cloud free tops but from lunchtime hill tops in the north will progressively clear with the southern tops like the Old Man of Coniston last to clear. By early evening 80% of tops will be clear.

Visibility

Visibility below the cloud will be moderate but will become poor in drizzle or light rain, perhaps less than 1km in places, navigation will be difficult on hills for much of the day. Later visibility will improve from the north with good views by late afternoon.

Meteorologist's view

A noticeable wind veer in the afternoon will mark the passing of the weather front and cloud will begin to break and clear after that. Temperatures will drop as the northwesterly airmass sets in with a marked windchill later in the day.

Ground conditions

No recent ground conditions report available.

Monday 22 October 2018

Sunrise: 07:54   Sunset: 17:59
Moon phase: Waxing gibbous

Weather

A clear start to the day with frost forming in many sheltered areas. Good sunny spells once the sun comes up but some cloud is expected to come and go during the day. Cloud is likely to thicken in the evening, particularly in the west with a dull end to the day and risk of a spot or two of rain.

Maximum wind speed expected

Northwesterly 20 mph with gusts around 30mph at 800m, the winds will back westerly during the afternoon.

Chance of cloud-free mountain/hill tops at 800m

90% chance of cloud free tops. Some of the highest tops in the west may see some wisps of cloud by the evening.

Temperature

  • At 800m Plus 1 rising to Plus 5 Celsius.
  • Valley Plus 4 rising to Plus 10 Celsius.
  • Freezing level Around 1000m

Visibility

Visibility will be excellent for much of the day with great views expected at height; visibility will reduce slightly in the evening as winds turn westerly but will still be better than 10km in most places.

Tuesday 23 October 2018

Sunrise: 07:56   Sunset: 17:57
Moon phase: Full

Mainly dry with quite a lot of cloud, cloud may be thick enough to give a few spots of rain over the hills particularly in the north around Scafell. The south and east are likely to see some brighter spells and breaks in the cloud. Northwesterly gales are likely on the hills.

Wednesday 24 October 2018

Sunrise: 07:58   Sunset: 17:55
Moon phase: Full

A cloudy but mainly dry day, the best breaks in the cloud are likely in the south around Coniston. Northwesterly gales will ease during the morning.

Thursday 25 October 2018

Sunrise: 08:00   Sunset: 17:53
Moon phase: Full

Maintaining the northwesterly airstream over the Lake District with cloud thickening to give some outbreaks of light rain at times. Moderate northwesterly winds. Feeling cold.

Issued at:
Back to top

Follow us on

Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, or LinkedIn Facebook Follow @metoffice on Twitter YouTube Instagram Snapchat LinkedIn