Mass Participation Sports
The sheer number of participants that take part in a mass participation event increases the focus on health and safety. Testing weather conditions add to the need for planning amongst health and safety teams and event planners to ensure that every event participant is safe and operations go smoothly.
To discuss any of our services further and to speak with one of our team, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0370 900 0100.
Weather challenges for Mass Participation Sports:
- High temperatures can cause heat exhaustion for participants competing over a long period of time.
- Sunshine can be detrimental to participants as prolonged exposure to sunlight can cause health issues such as sunstroke.
- Lightning & Snow can cause health and safety issues for participants and supporters which may cause match postponement if deemed severe.
- Rain either extreme or prolonged may affect event attendance and increase the risk of health and safety issues to supporters and participants.
The Met Office offers a range of services for mass participation sports that mitigate the above weather risks to keep costs down, ensure the safety of all parties and improve the likelihood that mass participation events actually go ahead:
VisualEyes™ for Sport Event Management
VisualEyes™ is our easy to use weather alert system for operations managers, grounds managers, and health and safety teams.
Location-specific Threshold Forecasts
Threshold forecasts highlight when you should pay most attention to the weather. You select the parameters and the thresholds that affect you. These forecasts can go out many days ahead and guidance can also give you recommendations to what to do when the significant weather hits your location.
Examples of the variables available include: Temperatures, Sunshine Duration, The probability of rain (amongst others).
Talk to a Forecaster
For when you need to speak to an expert immediately, our forecasters are on hand 24/7, to give you additional reassurance and guidance.
- Ask for any weather information or forecast for any land area in the UK (international locations also available).
- Direct telephone access to a weather forecaster 24 hours a day
- Perfect for critical decision making
Weather Sensitivity Analysis
Our Weather Analytics team can help you to analyse the relationship between the weather and performance which can offer valuable insight into resource planning and sport event demand.
We can help you to answer important questions such as:
- ‘How many people will attend the event in certain weather conditions?’
- ‘What resources will be needed to serve the event audience?’
- ‘What preparation, clothing, strategies work best under which weather conditions?’
Such analysis can be produced in stages to test data before a deeper investigation, ultimately the level of granularity and investigation is tailored to your requirements. Marginal gains in sport are becoming more and more valuable, Met Office weather services can reduce the impact of weather on your overall event performance.