Discover our solutions for the transport industry - aviation, marine, surface transport (road and rail) and Connected & Autonomous Vehicles sectors.
- Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) designated to deliver meteorological services for the aviation industry
- one of only two World Area Forecast Centres (WAFC) in the world for global en route weather information
- one of nine Volcanic Ash Advisory Centres (VAAC) worldwide
Our commercial services to aviation focus on improving business efficiency for airlines, airports and air traffic control:
- OpenRunway® – site-specific weather dashboard specifically designed for airport and airline operations
- MetInsight® – remote briefing service for airlines
- On-site meteorologist – embedded within your team to aid decision-making when weather is involved
- Consultancy – bespoke weather and climate advice, research and scientific solutions to business issues
- Training – the Met Office College hosts a wide range of training courses on aviation meteorology
Met Office works tirelessly for public safety at sea. We prepare routine marine forecasts and initiate warnings for the Marine and Coastguard Agency, which is responsible for the dissemination of Maritime Safety Information (MSI) and navigation warnings around the UK:
- Shipping forecasts and gale warnings
- Inshore waters forecasts and strong winds warnings
- High seas forecasts and storm warnings
Our commercial services to the offshore sector help operators reduce exposure to risk and uncertainty related to weather and sea-state, so they can deploy resources efficiently, safely and on time.
We support all types of marine operations:
- project planning
- day-to-day operational support
- route forecasts with SafeVoyage™
For more than 25 years, we have been delivering key weather information to road and infrastructure decision-makers, so they can react to weather hazards and keep the public safe.
We provide 24/7 monitoring and operational support to:
- strategic road infrastructure for the United Kingdom
- independent gritting companies
- strong winds
- low adhesion (caused by leaf fall contamination and low levels of moisture on the rail)
- overtopping (waves hitting the railway lines)
CAV and MaaS
If you are active in the Connected and Autonomous Vehicle (CAV), Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS) and the Intelligent Mobility sectors, explore the capabilities and opportunities from our world-leading science, weather data and consultancy.