Offshore Meteorological Observing
This course is designed to enable observers to make accurate aviation weather reports for offshore helicopter operations.
The training will provide tuition in the theory and practical skills required to make weather reports to the necessary standard to ensure the safety of helicopter operations.
The 6th Edition of CAP 437 Offshore Helicopter Landing Areas - Guidance on Standards recommends that personnel who carry out meteorological observations on offshore installations are to undergo formal meteorological observer training and are certificated by an approved training organisation for this role.
Observers should complete Offshore Meteorological Observing Refresher every two years.
Aim: To enable observers to make accurate aviation weather reports for offshore helicopter operations.
Course length: Two days.
Price: £598 per person (VAT exempt)
Location: Courses can be held exclusively for your staff in Aberdeen, at the Met Office College facilities in Exeter, or at a location of your choice.
"Training was interesting and informative. It is very helpful that the course can be done 'on-site."
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- observe, report and encode the weather elements required for the pre flight weather reports and also the en-route weather radio message;
- explain the procedures used to estimate the subjective elements (i.e. visibility, weather and cloud type, amounts and height) and accurately obtain the objective elements (i.e. wind speed and direction, pressure and temperature) of the weather report;
- have a knowledge of the various systems, equipment and instruments in use, including their limitations;
- understand the need for issuing accurate weather reports, especially in the case of an aircraft incident;
- decode civil Meteorological Aerodrome Reports (METARs), Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts (TAFs) and trends;
- understand air masses, weather fronts and how clouds are formed.
How to book
See our calendar to find out when the next available courses are scheduled.
For information about training at a location of your choice or book a space on the course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.