Browser support standards
This policy applies to web browsers that are being used on desktop versions of Windows, Mac OS and Linux/Unix.
We have developed a separate mobile site for use by mobiles; a separate policy is being developed for this.
Web browser support
The Met Office public web site has been developed to comply with the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) AA Accessibility standards.
We have tested our site using the browsers given in the list. The various browsers are allocated a 'Level of Support' as described below.
|'Levels of support' definitions||Browsers|
Support level 1
Supported web browser
Support level 2
Partially-supported web browser
Support level 3
Unsupported web browser
Note: We do not support Beta versions of any web browser.
Probably level 3
- Browser is not actively supported by the manufacturer; or
- less than 1% of site users; or
- upgrade has been available for more than 3 years and less than 2% of users; or
- significantly behind standards or adds significantly to development time and less than 2.5% of users; or
- new browser and less than 5% of site users.
Probably level 2
- Less than 2% of site users; or
- upgrade has been available for more than 3 years and less than 4% of users; or
- significantly behind standards or adds significantly to development time and less than 5% of users.
Probably level 1
- All of the above statements are not true; or
- strategically supported browser; or
- new browser and more than 5% of site users.
Last updated: Jan 15, 2016 11:23 AM