This website uses cookies. Read about how we use cookies.

Lake District - Mountain weather forecast

Weather warnings

Warnings affecting Lake District over the next 5 days

Confidence

High for a wet period but Low for timing of clearing to less persistent rain.

  • This evening
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Further outlook

Monday 26 June 2017

Sunset: 21:52
Moon phase: New

Any early brightness in the east should quickly fade as thickening cloud spreads in from the west. Patchy rain initially then becoming widespread and rather persistent.

Tuesday 27 June 2017

Weather hazards

Poor visibility High likelihood Show less detail

Poor visibility presents challenging route finding conditions. Visibility could be significantly less than 50 metres in all directions with few or no visual references, especially on featureless moors or plateaux. Distances become hard to judge and cliff or cornice edges can be difficult to recognise. These conditions require good navigational skills. There is a risk of white-out conditions when mist or fog is combined with extensive snow cover.

Learn more about poor visibility

Heavy persistent rain High likelihood Show more details

Prolonged exposure to heavy rain can result in drenched clothing and a risk of hypothermia if not wearing good quality waterproofs. Terrain may turn increasingly boggy underfoot, while mountain streams will rapidly rise into spate and may become impassable. There may also be a risk of flooding in valleys or glens. If there is snow cover, a heightened avalanche hazard is possible and avalanche reports should be consulted where available.

Learn more about heavy persistent rain

Gales Low likelihood Show more details

Progress will be impeded by very strong winds. Walking will be difficult and strenuous at times with a potential for one to be blown over in gusts. There can be a marked increase in winds through cols or on exposed ridges and summits. Distances often take longer to cover with compass bearings becoming more difficult to follow accurately.

Learn more about gales

Severe chill effect Low likelihood Show more details

Wind significantly lowers the ‘feels-like’ temperature relative to the actual temperature, with even moderate winds significantly adding to the chilling effect. Strong winds can result in a severe and debilitating wind chill many degrees below the actual temperature. This effect will be enhanced in rain or wet snow. Without protection, prolonged exposure could result in frost nip or frostbite on exposed parts of the body and/or hypothermia.

Learn more about severe chill effect

Forecast

A dull wet morning with persistent rain which will be heavy at times. Further rain in the afternoon but with drier spells.

Weather

0000 0300 0600 0900 1200 1500 1800 2100
Weather at 800m Heavy rain Heavy rain Heavy rain Heavy rain Light rain Light shower day Light rain Fog
Chance of precipitation at 800m 70% 80% 90% 90% 70% 60% 40% 30%

Wind speed and direction

0000 0300 0600 0900 1200 1500 1800 2100
Altitude above mean sea level
900m SE 30 36 SE 39 45 SE 29 35 SE 30 36 SE 26 32 SE 23 29 SE 19 23 SE 20 26
600m SE 29 38 SE 32 42 SE 27 37 SE 26 34 S 25 32 SE 22 29 SE 18 24 SE 22 30
300m SE 10 27 SE 13 33 SE 11 27 SE 11 27 SE 13 26 SE 11 23 SE 8 18 SE 9 20
Valley E 9 27 SE 11 30 SE 8 24 SE 8 22 SE 10 22 SE 8 19 SE 7 17 E 9 19

Temperature

0000 0300 0600 0900 1200 1500 1800 2100
Altitude above mean sea level
900m 8 ° 8 ° 9 ° 9 ° 9 ° 9 ° 10 ° 10 °
600m 9 ° 9 ° 9 ° 10 ° 10 ° 11 ° 11 ° 11 °
300m 11 ° 11 ° 11 ° 12 ° 12 ° 13 ° 13 ° 13 °
Valley 12 ° 12 ° 13 ° 14 ° 14 ° 14 ° 15 ° 14 °

Feels like temperature

0000 0300 0600 0900 1200 1500 1800 2100
Altitude above mean sea level
900m 4 ° 2 ° 4 ° 4 ° 4 ° 5 ° 6 ° 6 °
600m 4 ° 4 ° 5 ° 6 ° 6 ° 7 ° 8 ° 7 °
300m 9 ° 8 ° 9 ° 10 ° 10 ° 11 ° 12 ° 11 °
Valley 11 ° 10 ° 11 ° 12 ° 12 ° 13 ° 14 ° 13 °

Freezing level

0000 0300 0600 0900 1200 1500 1800 2100
Freezing level i 2,700 m 2,600 m 2,700 m 2,700 m 2,700 m 2,800 m 2,700 m 2,700 m
Sunrise: 04:39
Sunset: 21:52
Moon phase: Waxing crescent

Weather

Persistent, and at times heavy, rain will make for a damp dull morning with squelchy conditions underfoot. The rain will be accompanied by strong winds at higher levels where south-easterly winds may occasionally reach gale force. A few bright spells may develop in the afternoon as the rain eases and becomes fairly patchy.

Chance of cloud-free mountain/hill tops at 800m

Periods of fog down to 400-600m with generally 10% chance of cloud free tops although this possibly increasing to 40% late in the afternoon as cloud thins a little.

Visibility

Moderate to poor in rain, occasionally very poor in fog. Improving to good at times later in the day over leeward slopes.

Meteorologist's view

Gusts over exposed tops are likely to make it feel colder than would be expected for the time of year.

Ground conditions

No adverse ground conditions reported on 26 of Jun

Wednesday 28 June 2017

Sunrise: 04:40
Sunset: 21:52
Moon phase: Waxing crescent

Weather

A few patches of rain to start the day then rain increases across much of the area, becoming persistent over some east facing slopes.

Temperature

  • At 800m Around Plus 6 Celsius
  • Valley Plus 10 Celsius rising to Plus 14 Celsius at most.
  • Freezing level Well above the summits

Visibility

Moderate, perhaps good for a time at first, but becoming poor for more prolonged periods in rain and very poor in fog.

Chance of cloud-free mountain/hill tops at 800m

Patches of fog down to 200-400m increasing to 600m, with a 40% chance of cloud free tops perhaps 60% chance in the southwest.

Maximum wind speed expected

A marked increase in winds towards highest exposed summits as the day progresses with East or Northeast winds of 30 mph and gusts of 45mph, perhaps increasing to 55mph at times.

Thursday 29 June 2017

Sunrise: 04:40
Sunset: 21:52
Moon phase: Waxing crescent

Wet with frequent outbreaks of rain, especially persistent in the north.

Friday 30 June 2017

Sunrise: 04:41
Sunset: 21:52
Moon phase: Waxing crescent

Rain, heavy at times, accompanied by strong or gale force winds. Drier spells developing in evening.

Saturday 1 July 2017

Sunrise: 04:42
Sunset: 21:51
Moon phase: First quarter

Chilly at first. Patchy rain, with low cloud or fog patches, increasing towards afternoon.

Issued at:

The Lake District covers an area of 885 square miles with its highest point, Scafell Pike, standing at 978 metres.

Scafell Pike is the highest mountain in England. From its summit, the view spans from the Mourne Mountains in Northern Ireland to Snowdonia in Wales. The Lake District also contains the deepest and longest lakes in England; Wastwater and Windermere.

Much smaller than its Scottish counterparts, but no less breathtaking, is the Lake District National Park. While unarguably most famous for the lakes and waters from which it took its name, the National Park certainly has plenty to offer climbers as well. Not only that, special routes have been created (known as Miles Without Stiles) to offer more laid back, moderate walks.

Those looking for a challenge are suitably catered for with the Lakeland Fells, as made famous by rambler and cartographer Alfred Wainwright. These include some of the highest peaks in England: Scafell Pike (978 metres), Scafell (965 metres), Helvellyn (951 metres) and Skiddaw (931 metres).