Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at the Met Office
We recognise that great minds don’t think alike
We recognise that equality, diversity and inclusion is a journey. We are well on the way on the journey and we are committed to continuous improvement. Our aspiration is a working culture which actively values difference and unlocks the potential of a diverse workforce. In a nutshell we recognise that great minds don’t think alike, and we want all of our people to feel valued.
We continually assess and improve our policies, procedures and practices to enable all individuals to perform to the best of their ability and create a positive, engaging and inclusive working environment.
We are continuously striving to achieve a culture that values ability, difference, openness, fairness, transparency and inclusivity, aiming to go beyond the statutory and legal requirements. Improving our equality, diversity and inclusion is a major strategic initiative at the Met Office, reflecting the commitment, and investment, in continuous improvement from our board.
Our aim is to have a work force that is representative of public that we serve, so that our services are relevant to the whole of the UK, and beyond.
All Met Office employees will:
- treat everyone with dignity, trust and respect
- be aware of the effect of their behaviour on others and be mindful of making reasonable and manageable demands;
- communicate honestly and openly, clearly stating what they mean and expect;
- provide honest feedback based on evidence and be open to challenge and constructive criticism;
- seek and be receptive to feedback and open to modifying their behaviour where appropriate;
- work together to create a positive environment; to enable us to perform to the best of our ability.