Dr Alistair Manning
Alistair models the atmospheric dispersion of material using the Met Office's Lagrangian dispersion model NAME (Numerical Atmospheric-dispersion Modelling Environment).
Areas of expertise
- Atmospheric dispersion modelling
- Estimating long-term trends, growth rates and seasonal cycles of greenhouse and ozone-depleting gases
- Estimating emissions to the atmosphere through inversion modelling
Using high quality observations made on the west coast of Ireland (Mace Head) to:
- Estimate the long-term trends, growth rates and seasonal cycles of a range of greenhouse and ozone-depleting gases.
- Estimate the annual UK and north west European emissions of each trace gas measured for comparison with the internationally reported national inventories.
- BSc (Mathematics)
- MSc (Information Technology)
- PhD (Computational Fluid Dynamics)
- Member of the Met Office's Atmospheric Dispersion Group for over 15 years
Presented Royal Society Paper on estimating regional emissions (February 2010).