Mike is a specialist in the research and development of Automatic Weather Stations and in-situ 24/7 measurements.
Areas of expertise
- Instruments for measuring, wind, temperature, humidity, pressure, visibility, present weather, cloud base, snow depth and rain
- Methods of Observation and Instrument Exposure
- Automatic Weather Stations
Mike has directed the project to test and document the key features of measurements compared to the previous systems, documenting the changes according to GCOS principles. He has also led the introduction of new sensor, for example pressure and cloud measurement and the testing of distrometers for operational use as present weather sensing.
Mike has worked in surface based meteorological measurements since joining the Met Office in 1979. Work has included sensor development, field trials, Ozone measurement and AWS measurements.
- WMO Expert team on Surface Measurements
- EUMETNET Working Group on Instruments