Thomas's role is to lead and manage the Space Data Products and Systems Group.
Areas of expertise
- Meteorological satellite data processing and analysis.
- Simulated satellite images from NWP models for forecast verification.
- Satellite imagery and products for situational awareness, nowcasting & forecasting.
- NWP model post processing.
- Science communication.
Thomas's current work includes:
Leading and managing a team of scientists and scientific software engineers;
Managing the development of systems for producing Earth Observation products from geostationary and polar orbiting satellites;
Liaising with international satellite data providers;
Leading our preparation for Meteosat Third Generation and other forthcoming satellites.
In 2005 Thomas joined the Met Office in the Satellite Applications area. This area was reorganised in 2020 and he joined the Space Applications and Nowcasting area and took over management of the Space Data Products and Systems group.
Thomas founded the 'Satellite Image of the Month' pages on the Met Office website and continues to contribute to them.
Previous research projects include:
- Simulated satellite imagery from NWP models for forecast verification.
- Improving the satellite imagery products and tools used by Operational Meteorologists and providing training and guidance on their use.
- Developing a long-term satellite sea surface temperature record for climate analysis.
- Monitoring of satellite radiance bias with respect to NWP model radiances.
Thomas has worked as Weather Science Communications Advisor for the Met Office, improving the way we share and communicate our science to our stakeholders, customers and the public.
Prior to joining the Met Office, he received a BSc degree in Meteorology from the University of Reading.
- July 2019 onwards: Thomas was appointed to the editorial board of the Royal Meteorological Society publication "Weather" and is the Images Editor for this journal.
- 2019: Thomas was elected a Fellow of the Royal Meteorological Society.
- He is UK delegate at EUMETSATs Operations Working Group and MTG User Preparation group.