A guide to getting started with Met Office DataPoint
- Navigate to the About Met Office DataPoint page.
- Read the detailed terms and conditions. By using Met Office DataPoint you are agreeing to the Terms and conditions - DataPoint.
- If you accept the terms and conditions, click the 'Register' link on the About Met Office DataPoint page to register with Met Office DataPoint and get your developer key.
- Complete and submit the form, which includes an account name and password. Registration is free of charge.
- You will receive an e-mail containing a link. Follow the link in the e-mail, which will result in you being taken back to the Met Office Weather and climate data page.
- From here, scroll down the page and select the link Met Office DataPoint.
- Click on the link, which will take you to the registration page. Select 'Existing Account' and resubmit your username and password.
- You will see a 'Registration Successful' message on screen but you will need to log out and back in again to access this service
- Select the 'My Services' button.
Getting your API key
- Click the 'My Services' link from the support page to view Your DataPoint API key. The API key will be displayed on the screen. Select 'My Account' to view your Application Key.
All DataPoint resources have a base URL of http://datapoint.metoffice.gov.uk/public/data/ and must be requested with your API key as a query in the format:
'resource' must be replaced with a keyword from the documentation.
For example, to get a three-hourly five-day forecast for Dunkeswell Aerodrome:
Go to the DataPoint products page to learn more about the range and details of our products
Guidance and help
Alternatively you can use our consolidated guide to using the Met Office DataPoint API and products : DataPoint API reference.
You can also try asking a question in the DataPoint support group.
If you still believe there is a problem, please complete the website technical fault form.
Met Office Weather DataHub
Met Office Weather DataHub offers an ever-growing selection of weather data and map overlays available via APIs.
Simply take a look at our products for our current listing of weather information.
Using the Met Office Weather DataHub will give you the ability to consume weather data in four dimensions and in near real-time, with a great selection of APIs to reuse within your innovative apps.