Climate monitoring with a UK focus
The UK climate is monitored by analysing surface observations and placing recent extreme weather events in their historical context.
The National Climate Information Centre (NCIC) generates climate information and statistics using UK surface observations. Techniques are developed to generate long data series for the UK and its regions and to present data, e.g. as maps.
Many of the outputs are made available on our UK climate pages. These web pages include information such as station and regional statistics and summaries of noteworthy weather events such as floods, heatwaves, snowfalls.
- Produce UK climate statistics for points and areas.
- Provide climate data to a wide range of customers, including government departments, the media and research bodies.
- Report upon noteworthy weather events, placing them in context.
- Monitor UK climate trends and provide advice on climate-related topics.
- Producing the annual State of the UK Climate reports.
- Prepare UK climate statistics (e.g. averages and extremes).
- Develop and maintain historic series (e.g. Central England Temperature).
- Produce UK monthly/seasonal/annual weather summaries.
- Report on UK noteworthy weather events.
- Disseminate information (mainly via the web).