Climate Analysis for Risk Information & Services in South Asia (CARISSA)
The aim of the CARISSA project is to improve the uptake and use of regional climate change information in South Asia.
Through engaging with different user groups (including impact scientists, intermediaries and decision-makers), and collaborating with regional institutions, CARISSA will build on state-of-the-art climate science to better articulate future climate risks and guide adaptation decisions.
We are working in partnership on this project with the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), the India Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), the Nepal Development Research Institute (NDRI) in India, the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), the World Food Programme (WFP), the Department of Hydrology and Meteorology (DHM) in Nepal, the Bangladesh Meteorological Department (BMD), the Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD), the International Centre for Climate Change and Development (ICCCAD), the Institute of Water Modelling (IWM) and the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Global Framework for Climate Services (GFCS).
The CARISSA project is focusing on six main activities, determined following engagement with key partners and stakeholders in the region. The activities are:
- Activity 1: Training and capacity development: Strengthening the knowledge and capabilities of providers and users of climate projection data.
- Activity 2: Development of regional forum on climate change: Establishing a regular and sustainable regional forum in South Asia for knowledge exchange and cooperation on climate change and the use of future climate projections.
- Activity 3: Enhancing regional climate projection data platforms: Enhancing access and usability of regional climate projection data, primarily through online platforms.
- Activity 4: Climate change information services for the water and hydropower sector: Bringing together users, information providers and experts in the areas of hydropower and the water sector to collaborate on improved climate information services for the sector.
- Activity 5: Information for managing coastal climate risks: Developing new sea level change projections for the South Asia region, and integrating this information into coastal risk assessments and planning decisions.
- Activity 6: Climate services for food security: Developing climate change and food security outputs for South Asia that will inform policy decision-making at the national and regional scales.
Regional engagement and knowledge sharing
- Regional workshop on future climate projections and their applications in South Asia (January 2019) - Read the workshop report here
- Side event 'Development of a regional climate change forum in South Asia' at the 6th International Conference on Climate Services (ICCS6) (February 2020) - Read the meeting report here
Training and capacity development
- Findings of training needs assessment survey (December 2019)
- Training on CORDEX regional climate projections (October 2020) - More details available here
Climate services for the water and hydropower sectors
- Regional workshop on climate change information for the water and hydropower sector (September 2019) - Read the workshop report here
- Pilot climate service product for the water and hydropower sector (January 2020)
Coastal climate risk services
- Review of sea-level rise science, information and services in Bangladesh (March 2020) - Available here
- Review of sea-level rise science, information and services in Pakistan (August 2020) - Available here
- Synthesis report on new regional sea level projections for South Asia (March 2020) - Read a summary of the key findings here.
- New sea-level projections for South Asia (August 2020) - Report on main findings available here
- Sea level projections for South Asia: supporting materials and methods (August 2020) - Read the supporting material here
Climate and food security
- Food security assessment for Afghanistan and Nepal (September 2021)