Close window
Close window
This section of the new site isn't ready yet. We've brought you back to the current site.

Brecon Beacons - Mountain weather forecast

Weather warnings

Warnings affecting Brecon Beacons over the next 5 days

Confidence

High confidence for broadly southwesterly airflow for several days, but medium confidence for timings and amounts of rain.

  • Sunday
  • Monday
  • Further outlook

Sunday 17 February 2019

Weather hazards

Gales Medium likelihood Hide detail

Gale force winds (gusts over 50mph) make walking difficult and strenuous with a potential to be blown over by gusts. There is often a marked increase in winds through cols or on exposed ridges and summits. Distances can take longer to cover and compass bearings become harder to follow accurately.

Learn more about gales

Severe chill effect Medium likelihood Show detail

Wind significantly lowers the ‘feels-like’ temperature relative to the actual temperature, with even moderate winds significantly adding to the chilling effect. Strong winds can result in a severe and debilitating wind chill many degrees below the actual temperature. This effect will be enhanced in rain or wet snow. Without protection, prolonged exposure could result in frost nip or frostbite on exposed parts of the body and/or hypothermia.

Learn more about severe chill effect

Poor visibility Medium likelihood Show detail

Poor visibility presents challenging route finding conditions. Visibility could be significantly less than 50 metres in all directions with few or no visual references, especially on featureless moors or plateaux. Distances become hard to judge and cliff or cornice edges can be difficult to recognise. These conditions require good navigational skills. There is a risk of white-out conditions when mist or fog is combined with extensive snow cover.

Learn more about poor visibility

Headline

Dry, bright start, but cloud will thicken in the morning with occasional rain or drizzle, but clearing in the afternoon to leave bright or sunny spells and a few showers.

Weather

06:00 09:00 12:00 15:00 18:00 21:00
Weather at 600m Fog Fog Drizzle Sunny intervals Partly cloudy night Partly cloudy night
Chance of precipitation at 600m 20% 20% 40% 20% 20% 20%

Wind speed and direction

06:00 09:00 12:00 15:00 18:00 21:00
Altitude above mean sea level
600m S 28 34 S 29 35 SW 27 36 SW 26 34 SW 24 31 S 26 34
300m S 15 33 S 16 34 SW 16 33 SW 15 32 SW 12 27 SW 14 31
Valley S 11 30 S 13 31 SW 14 32 SW 12 29 SW 8 22 SW 11 29

Temperature

06:00 09:00 12:00 15:00 18:00 21:00
Altitude above mean sea level
600m 4 ° 5 ° 6 ° 7 ° 5 ° 5 °
300m 6 ° 7 ° 9 ° 9 ° 7 ° 7 °
Valley 7 ° 8 ° 10 ° 10 ° 8 ° 8 °

Feels like temperature

06:00 09:00 12:00 15:00 18:00 21:00
Altitude above mean sea level
600m -2 ° -1 ° 1 ° 1 ° 0 ° -1 °
300m 2 ° 4 ° 6 ° 6 ° 4 ° 3 °
Valley 4 ° 5 ° 7 ° 8 ° 6 ° 5 °

Freezing level

06:00 09:00 12:00 15:00 18:00 21:00
Freezing level i 1,700 m 1,800 m 1,300 m 1,200 m 1,300 m 1,200 m
Sunrise: 07:25
Sunset: 17:31
Moon phase: Full

Weather

A dry and bright start in places with patchy mist or fog. Cloud will increase through the morning to bring outbreaks of rain. Rain clearing to a few showers in the afternoon with bright or sunny spells developing. Some clear spells in the evening but with scattered showers.

Chance of cloud-free mountain/hill tops at 600m

20% at first with patchy cloud covering the tops. An improving chance on Sunday morning to 60%, but chances reduce to 20% towards midday as cloud layers lower to 500m with patches below. Chance improving again to 60% in the afternoon as rain clears, leaving occasionally broken cloud above 600m.

Visibility

Mainly good, but misty beneath cloud in the morning and poor at times in rain. Very poor in fog on peaks.

Meteorologist's view

A rather windy day with possible gales 35mph gusts 50mph over higher slopes and exposed ridges and summits. Feeling very cold in the wind.

Recent rainfall

  • Location: Neuadd (Near Pontsticill)
  • Altitude: 353m
  • Measurement date: 03:00 on Sun 17 Feb 2019
  • Last 24 hours: 0.4mm
  • Last 48 hours: 1.2mm
  • Last 72 hours: 1.4mm

Rainfall data provided by Natural Resources Wales. The Met Office is not responsible for content provided by third parties and may remove this data without warning.

Monday 18 February 2019

Sunrise: 07:23
Sunset: 17:33
Moon phase: Full

Weather

Bright spells, but often cloudy with showers, these locally heavy in the afternoon, possibly wintry on peaks. Then becoming mainly dry with clear periods through the evening.

Maximum wind speed expected

Southwesterly 30-35 gusts 45mph, but westerly 25 gusts 35mph later.

Chance of cloud-free mountain/hill tops at 600m

Around 20 to 30% with cloud often broken down to 500m. Better chance from late afternoon, around 70% with cloud lifting.

Temperature

  • At 600m Plus 4 Celsius
  • Valley Plus 6 rising to plus 12 Celsius
  • Freezing level Just above the summits around 1000 m

Visibility

Good occasionally poor in showers.

Tuesday 19 February 2019

Sunrise: 07:21
Sunset: 17:35
Moon phase: Full

Mainly dry with some sunshine in the morning, but cloudier in the afternoon and evening with perhaps a little drizzle at times. Moderate or fresh southwest winds. Freezing level close to tops at first, rising later.

Wednesday 20 February 2019

Sunrise: 07:19
Sunset: 17:37
Moon phase: Full

Mainly dry and sometimes bright, but cloudier with perhaps a little rain on southwest facing slopes at times. Strong southwest winds with the freezing level above summits.

Thursday 21 February 2019

Sunrise: 07:17
Sunset: 17:39
Moon phase: Waning gibbous

Generally cloudy with patchy rain or drizzle. Strong southwest winds with the freezing level above the peaks.

Issued at:
Close window

The Brecon Beacons is a mountain range in South Wales comprising six main peaks, with the highest peak, Pen y Fan, standing at 886 metres.

The summits of each peak form a long ridge with four of the peaks forming a horseshoe shape around the head of the Taf Fechan River which flows away to the south-east. The Brecon Beacons is said to be named after the ancient practice of lighting signal fires (beacons) on mountains to warn of attacks by invaders, or more recently to commemorate public and national events such as coronations or the Millennium.

For ardent mountain climbers, the Brecon Beacons National Park is among the best that Britain has to offer. While it doesn't have some of the headline-grabbing peaks of Snowdonia or the Scottish Highlands, it fits scores of slightly smaller mountains into its relatively compact 519 square mile area. These include the area's highest peak, Pen y Fan, as well as the marginally smaller Corn Du (873 metres). Both offer rather hospitable, anvil-shaped summits to those who reach the top, with plenty of space for rest and photographs, before tackling the descent.

Follow us on

Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, or LinkedIn Facebook Follow @metoffice on Twitter YouTube Instagram Snapchat LinkedIn