Advertisement for new SRG members - Oct 2023
This advertisement is for 2 members of the Met Office Hadley Centre Climate Programme Science Review Group. It is posted on behalf of the UK Department for Energy Security & Net Zero.
Met Office Hadley Centre Climate Programme: Science Review Group Members
The UK Department for Energy Security & Net Zero (DESNZ), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) are seeking two new members of the Science Review Group (SRG) which advises the UK Government on the content, progress, scientific excellence, relevance and impact of the Met Office Hadley Centre Climate Programme.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an international group of leading experts and directors of research institutes, in order to gain a comprehensive view of Met Office climate research and to help shape the Programme.
The appointment is for four years initially (covering annual meetings and reports from 2024 to 2027 inclusive) with the possibility of extension to a maximum of eight years. The Terms of Reference for the SRG are available here.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- You will be an internationally-recognised expert in a topic (or topics) of climate research relevant to the Met Office Hadley Centre Climate Programme, with experience in either directing or reviewing large research programmes, and with evidence of strategic thinking. At the moment the SRG is particularly looking to add expertise in the following areas:
- Land surface modelling and the role of the land surface in climate change, adaptation and mitigation (priority area),
- Impacts, risks and adaptation, preferably with a UK focus,
- Climate change mitigation including carbon budgets and the impacts and risks of overshooting Paris targets,
- Trans-disciplinary approaches integrating climate information to meet policy needs.
- You will not be an existing member of staff in the Met Office or MOHC.
The role is honorary, however travel and subsistence for attendance at meetings will be provided.
The time commitment is as follows:
- Preparation for annual SRG meetings through reading of background papers.
- Physical or virtual attendance at the annual three-day SRG meeting at the Met Office, Exeter, routinely held in January. The next meeting will take place w/c 15th January 2024.
- Contribution to the SRG report to be delivered to Government by the end of the month following the SRG meeting.
- Optional attendance at a virtual half-day mid-year review meeting, usually held in September.
To apply please send both your CV and a short covering letter - describing how your expertise makes you a suitable candidate for the role – to [email protected] by midnight on 9th November 2023.
CVs will be sifted by an assessment panel and all candidates will be informed of the outcome of their application as soon as possible after that process is completed.
DESNZ, Defra and FCDO are equal opportunity employers. They do not discriminate or tolerate any form of discrimination on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.