Make your own thermometer box
You can make your own special box to house a thermometer.
What you will need:
- A sturdy plastic or wooden box that can stand on its side
- White paint
- A thermometer
- Blu-Tack (or similar)
What to do:
- Paint the outside of your box white and wait until it's dry.
- Stick the thermometer to the back of the inside of the box using Blu-Tack.
- Take the box outside and find a safe, shady place to keep it.
- Stand the box on its side so that the thermometer is upright at the back of the box and protected from direct weather conditions.
- Now you can take temperature readings at the same time every day.
Did you know?
To measure the temperature accurately we keep thermometers in Stevenson screens, this is a white box, with slats in it to allow air to flow through the box. Stevenson screens face north, which combined with their colour and slats, give us the best measure of the current temperature, without getting too hot in direct sunlight or being too cool in the shade.