Mountain weather

Mourne Mountains

There may be weather warnings in force for the UK

Mourne Mountains Mountain weather forecast table

Confidence

High for a more unsettled look to the weather than of late, but low regarding cloud and precipitation details.

This evening forecast

Sunrise:
Sunset:

A cloudy evening with outbreaks of rain, some on the heavy side and accompanied by hill fog. Strengthening southerly winds on the tops.

Sunrise:
Sunset:
Mountain hazards

Mountain weather hazards

Hazards apply at or above 300m, reflecting the more severe conditions which can occur at altitude.

hazard Poor visibility
Poor visibility presents challenging route finding conditions. Visibility could be significantly less than 50 metres in all directions with few or no visual references, especially on featureless moors or plateaux. Distances become hard to judge and cliff or cornice edges can be difficult to recognise. These conditions require good navigational skills. There is a risk of white-out conditions when mist or fog is combined with extensive snow cover.

hazard Gales
Gale force winds (gusts over 50mph) make walking difficult and strenuous with a potential to be blown over by gusts. There is often a marked increase in winds through cols or on exposed ridges and summits. Distances can take longer to cover and compass bearings become harder to follow accurately.
hazard Severe chill effect
Wind significantly lowers the ‘feels-like’ temperature relative to the actual temperature, with even moderate winds significantly adding to the chilling effect. Strong winds can result in a severe and debilitating wind chill many degrees below the actual temperature. This effect will be enhanced in rain or wet snow. Without protection, prolonged exposure could result in frost nip or frostbite on exposed parts of the body and/or hypothermia.
hazard Strong sunlight
Harmful UV levels from sunlight increase with altitude giving a greater risk of sunburn and eye damage, even on some overcast days. On breezy days, the cooling effect of wind on exposed skin may disguise any feeling of sunburn until it is too late. If there is snow cover, glare increases the effect of UV rays especially on the eyes. It is advisable to wear sun block, protective clothing such as a long-sleeved top and hat and have good quality eye protection.

Mountain weather forecast

A bright start then some cloud and rain around the middle of the day. Brightening up again in the afternoon though a cloudier evening with hill fog returning and some drizzle. Windy on the tops,

Wind direction and speed (mph)
Altitude above mean sea level
Wind gust (mph)
Altitude above mean sea level

Altitude above mean sea level

Altitude above mean sea level

Additional weather information

Weather

Cloudy in the early hours, with some rain at first and some hill fog. Later in the night it will become dry the cloud lifting and breaking with clear spells and some isolated valley fog patches. This will lead to a sunny start in the morning, but cloud will soon thicken from the southeast, with a spell of rain from mid morning to early afternoon. Turning much brighter thereafter with some sunny intervals, then cloud increasing in the evening with some showers and a return of the hill fog.

Chance of cloud-free mountain/hill tops at 700m

20% in early hours, rising 80% by morning, but falling 30% in the rainband moving northwest, improving 70% later as it turns brighter with higher more broken cloud bases. Chances finally decreasing to 10% by dusk, as low cloud pushes in from the Irish Sea.

Visibility

Good in the brighter spells but moderate in rain, and occasionally poor in showers in the evening. Very poor in cloud.

Meteorologist's view

Summit gusts around 50mph at times.

Sunrise:
Sunset:

Mountain weather information

Weather

Overnight showers clearing leading to a deceptively dry bright start, but then further bands of showers or even longer spells of rain will spread in from the southwest.

Chance of cloud-free mountain/hill tops at 700m

20% at first improving to 80% by morning as the cloud becomes more broken with bases lifting to 900m. Chances reduce to 20% or less from mid morning.

Maximum wind speed expected

South to southeast 25 gusts 35mph

Temperature

  • At 700m Plus 5 Celsius
  • Valley Plus 5 Celsius at dawn rising to Plus 12 Celsius in afternoon
  • Freezing level Above the summits

Visibility

Good at first in the morning but falling moderate or poor in occasional rain.

Mountain weather information

Saturday 27 April

Sunrise:
Sunset:

Cloudy overnight some rain, then brightening up to sunny intervals and scattered showers wintry on highest tops. Northwesterly winds strong to gale force with a severe wind chill, freezing level just above the tops.

Sunday 28 April

Sunrise:
Sunset:

Mostly dry, though cloudy. Southerly winds strengthening later.

Monday 29 April

Sunrise:
Sunset:

Cloudier with some rain at times and fresh southerly winds.

Updated at:

Summit specific forecast map

Summit specific forecasts for Mourne Mountains

The Mourne Mountains include the highest mountains in Northern Ireland; the highest of these is Slieve Donard standing at 850 metres at the northeastern edge of the Mournes, overlooking Newcastle and Dundrum Bay. At the summit of Slieve Donard there is a cairn and a small stone tower, which is part of the Mourne Wall, which passes over the mountain’s southern and western shoulders.

The Mourne Wall is a 35 kilometre dry stone wall that crosses fifteen summits, constructed between 1904 and 1922 by the Belfast Water Commissioners to define and enclose the catchment area for the newly constructed Silent Valley Reservoir.v