Mountain weather

There may be weather warnings in force for the UK

Yorkshire Dales Mountain weather forecast table

Confidence

High confidence for the unsettled regime throughout the period, but low for shower details, especially for heavy showers or thunderstorms.

Sunrise:
Sunset:
Mountain hazards

Mountain weather hazards

Hazards apply at or above 300m, reflecting the more severe conditions which can occur at altitude.

hazard Strong sunlight
Harmful UV levels from sunlight increase with altitude giving a greater risk of sunburn and eye damage, even on some overcast days. On breezy days, the cooling effect of wind on exposed skin may disguise any feeling of sunburn until it is too late. If there is snow cover, glare increases the effect of UV rays especially on the eyes. It is advisable to wear sun block, protective clothing such as a long-sleeved top and hat and have good quality eye protection.

hazard Gales
Gale force winds (gusts over 50mph) make walking difficult and strenuous with a potential to be blown over by gusts. There is often a marked increase in winds through cols or on exposed ridges and summits. Distances can take longer to cover and compass bearings become harder to follow accurately.
hazard Poor visibility
Poor visibility presents challenging route finding conditions. Visibility could be significantly less than 50 metres in all directions with few or no visual references, especially on featureless moors or plateaux. Distances become hard to judge and cliff or cornice edges can be difficult to recognise. These conditions require good navigational skills. There is a risk of white-out conditions when mist or fog is combined with extensive snow cover.
hazard Thunderstorms
Lightning is a significant mountain hazard which can result in serious injury or death. Mountain terrain often leaves one highly exposed to lightning strikes. Hail may give unpleasant conditions with torrential rain and localised flash flooding also possible, mainly in Summer months.

Mountain weather forecast

Unsettled, with further showers, locally heavy this morning.

Wind direction and speed (mph)
Altitude above mean sea level
Wind gust (mph)
Altitude above mean sea level

Altitude above mean sea level

Altitude above mean sea level

Additional weather information

Meteorologist's view

Some temporary hazardous conditions in any heavy showers this morning, giving flooded watercourses, but with only a low risk of thunderstorms or lightning strikes.

Weather

A cloudy start with outbreaks of showery rain, locally heavy but only a low risk of thunder. Further showers likely though the afternoon, especially in the west. Rather breezy, with strong winds and locally gusty on the summits. Any showers will tend to ease during the evening, although it will stay rather cloudy.

Chance of cloud-free mountain/hill tops at 600m

30% chance during the morning, increasing to 70% chance in the afternoon.

Visibility

Very good, with distant hills clearly visible, but occasionally moderate or poor in rain, with cloud lowering to 600m or so at times.

Recent rainfall

Location: Malham
Altitude: 375m
Last 24 hoursLast 48 hoursLast 72 hours
11.8mm14.4mm14.4mm
Measurement date:

Rainfall data provided by the Environment Agency. The Met Office is not responsible for content provided by third parties and may remove this data without warning.

Sunrise:
Sunset:

Mountain weather information

Weather

L Patchy rain to start, perhaps becoming persistent and heavy for a time. Rain becoming more showery by afternoon, with the risk of the odd heavy shower or thunderstorm. Any showers will gradually ease in the evening.

Chance of cloud-free mountain/hill tops at 600m

30% becoming 60%.

Maximum wind speed expected

NE becoming NW 15-20mph.

Temperature

  • At 600m Plus 09 Celsius, becoming Plus 13 Celsius.
  • Valley Plus 11 Celsius, becoming Plus 16 Celsius.
  • Freezing level Above the summits.

Visibility

Moderate or poor with areas of cloud 400-600m, becoming good in the afternoon with cloud lifting 500-700m, but with further reductions of visibility in showers.

Mountain weather information

Saturday 31 July

Sunrise:
Sunset:

Another day of sunny spells and scattered showers. Moderate to fresh westerly winds on the summits.

Sunday 1 August

Sunrise:
Sunset:

Bright or sunny intervals and a few showers. Moderate to fresh northeast winds.

Monday 2 August

Sunrise:
Sunset:

A few well scattered showers developing by early afternoon, but generally largely dry with sunny spells. Winds light and variable.

Updated at:

The National Park lies within the county boundaries of historic Yorkshire with much of the landscape consisting of limestone country; lush green valleys known locally as 'dales' crested with white limestone cliffs known as 'scars'. Hidden beneath these hills and peaks is an underground world of caves and potholes with stalactites and stalagmites, cathedral sized chambers, underground rivers and waterfalls.

A gentler outlook awaits visitors in the Yorkshire Dales, compared to the much more imposing ranges of the Lake District. The tallest of the gentle rolling hills of the Yorkshire Dales is Whernside, which reaches 736 metres. Known as the 'King of the Dales', Whernside may not be the tallest of mountains on offer in the UK, but still rewards those who make the journey with views that stretch for miles.

Walkers shouldn't be under the illusion that the Yorkshire Dales doesn't offer challenges for ardent mountain walkers. Instead, a 'Three Peaks Challenge', which takes in Whernside, Ingelborough and Pen-y-Ghent, sees walkers cover over 23 miles and almost 1,600 metres of ascent. The record for completing all three currently stands at around two and a half hours.