3 tips for staying safe in lightning
When there is a lightning warning in place here are some things to be aware of...
- What if you are planning outdoor activities or working outside?
- What you can do in a power cut
- Keep yourself safe in a lightning storm
Being outside in lightning can be very dangerous, avoid harm by staying indoors as much as possible.
Lightning most often strikes people who work outside or do outdoor activities. Keep yourself safe by following these simple steps:
- Before leaving for any water or outdoor activity check the weather forecast so you know what to expect during the day.
- If you hear thunder while you are outside, find a safe, enclosed shelter, such as your car.
- If you are out in the open water and a storm comes in, return to shore immediately
- Immediately get off elevated areas such as hills, mountain ridges, or peaks and get to lower ground.
If you are caught out in the open:
- Try not to walk or shelter close to buildings and trees.
- Crouch down in a ball-like position with your head tucked and hands over your ears so that you are down low with minimal contact with the ground.
- Stay away from objects that conduct electricity.
People cope better with power cuts when they have prepared for them in advance and it's easy to do. The essentials that could help you cope with a power cut are:
- candles and matches or lighters,
- torches and batteries,
- a mobile phone power pack.
If your power goes out these simple steps can help you deal with the situation:
- Switch off all electrical appliances that shouldn’t be left unattended, ready for when the power comes back on.
- Leave a light on, so you know when the power cut has been fixed.
- Check to see if your neighbours are safe and if they have a power cut too. If they have power, your trip switch may have activated.
- Call 105 for information, it’s a free service for people in England, Scotland and Wales.
Follow this simple two-step checklist to keep yourself safe from a potential lightning storm:
- CHECK: Before leaving for any water or outdoor activity check the weather forecast so you know what to expect during the day.
- PLAN: If the forecast is for thunderstorms in your area, plan your trip for another day.