Make your own rain gauge
You can find out how much rain falls where you live by making your own rain measure.
What you will need:
- An empty plastic bottle (2 litre fizzy drink bottle would be ideal)
- Sticky tape
What to do:
- Cut around the plastic bottle about two thirds of the way up.
- Turn the top part of the bottle upside down and place it inside the bottom part - fix it in place using the tape.
- Make a scale in centimetres on a piece of tape, using a ruler, and fix it to the side of your bottle.
- Find a place outside to put your rain gauge. It must be open and away from trees.
- Dig a hole and bury your rain gauge so that the top is sticking out about 5 cm out of the ground. This will stop the rain gauge from blowing down on windy days.
- Check the rain gauge every day at the same time, measure the amount of rain collected, and empty the bottle.
- Don't forget to write down the amount of rain collected in your weather diary.